The Closer I get to you
Chapters 4 -6


~*~*~*Chapter4~*~*~*
I went back inside, to find Chris smiling at me. I was certain that she'd overheard the conversation by the door. She was so obvious. I got dressed and Chris, my family and I went out to dinner. They were all asking questions about Nick and all. I skipped the cell number & kiss part, they didn't have to know that. My brother as usual, was saying bad things about him. He'd always done that. At home, he kept dissing  the BSB all the time, why would it be different now?!
We went to see the Phantom of the Opera on Broadway. It's a great show, the story line is great. I have to say that I admire Gaston Leroux for his work in writing the story and Andrew Loyd Webber for producing the play. Back at the hotel, we decided what to do the next day. It was Shopping day! I really loved to go shopping, I always find amazing clothes! Finally back in the bedroom, Chris asked me:
" Now Natty, tell me what really happened between you and Nick."
" Nothing happened... we talked."
" Yeah?! Are you serious? You were alone in your room with that wonderful man, and nothing happened... Oh, if I were you..."
" You don't change do you?"
" What can I say?"
" Ok, we kissed, not a real kiss, he gave me this little something in the corner of my mouth and that was it!"
We continued talking about it, what he meant by it and all this stuff. Chris was a great person to talk to, I could tell her everything. When we met in school, our personalities totally clicked. She'd been my best friend ever since. Through the ups and downs, break ups and make ups through all my life. There was only one subject that we didn't agree; when we talked about who the hottest Backstreet Boy was. I thought it was Nick and she thought it was AJ. Ah well, no one is perfect. The next day, after the shopping spree, I called Nick:
" Hello?? Nick?"
" No this is Brian, who is it?"
" Ah, hi Brian, it's Natty... remember me?"
" Hum, Natty... Oh yeah I know who you are. Nick just wouldn't shut up about you..."
I heard some noises coming from the other side of the line, it seemed like people running around and throwing stuff. It was probably Nick & Brian joking around. And Nick started screaming:
" Gimme that! Gimme that!"
" Ouch man!!! Well Natty I'll have to go now... because Nick is almost killing me for the..."
I believe Nick managed to get the phone out of Brian's hand since he didn't end the sentence. There was a little break, then Nick started to talk:
" Hi Natty. What's up? Decided to call?"
" Yeah, I didn't have anything better to do. Hahaha"
" Ok... What do you wanna do tonight?"
" Well, probably I'm gonna have dinner with my family, then I don't know. I don't even know if my parents are gonna let me go out with you... alone."
" Why wouldn't they? I'm a real gentleman and worth of their daughter's company!! haha"
" I guess they didn't get a very good impression of you the first time you met, so... "  
" I could show them how nice I am. You know, I could go..."
" Go where? Have dinner with us?"
" Yeah."
" With my family? Are you sure this is a good idea? `Coz listen, my brother never did like you, my dad has started not to... my mom... well I don't know about by mom."
" Well see! One of them already likes me, one down 2 to go! Ha... But hey, I don't really care if they don't like me, as long as you do. Do you?"
" Well, I... yes."
We talked for a little more and settled place and time for the encounter. He was almost as charming on the phone as he was in person. I didn't tell my folks that Nick was joining us for dinner. They were stunned when he appeared at the restaurant for no apparent reason.


~*~*~* Chapter 5~*~*~*
He sat down between Chris and I, she looked at me and gave the most naughty grin ever. Chris and I could communicate even when we didn't say a word. I couldn't deny my feelings for him. Everytime I was close to him, I felt this great attraction. The look of his eyes, he could read deep within my soul and Nick Carter knew that. I could feel I was falling head over heals for him. It was so amazing how the feeling took over me in only two days. And did he look and smelled good. He apologized once again to my family, he said he didn't mean to treat me badly and all. My mom was starting to like him already. How couldn't she or any other woman in the world. He was just too perfect and adorable to talk to and be with.
Finally, the food came. It was good, but not like the food I was used to eat at home. My country was so beautiful... I was starting to miss my friends a little, but it was ok. I was in a new place, with interesting people and I didn't wanna go home just yet. It was obvious that we were talking in Portuguese on the table and Nick felt a little out of place, since he didn't understand a thing. I had to choose between my family and him, because my family didn't understand English. It wasn't that hard to choose though. I decided to talk a bit with both of them. It was so funny, because sometimes I spoke English with my parents and Portuguese with Nick and I didn't even realize that.
When we were finishing our deserts, Nick grabbed my hand under the table and flashed a smile at me. I smiled him back. I looked at his ice-blue eyes, and saw myself in it. It was my reflection, but not the one I always see in the mirror. In his eyes, I was beautiful. There, I realized that Cupid had struck us both. When I finally freed myself from the seductiveness of his look, everyone was looking at me.
" What? What is it?"
My brother just laughed, and my father's look became very serious. It was obvious that he didn't want `daddy's little girl' to be in love with a famous `boy band' singer. We left the restaurant and we were gonna walk to the hotel. When we got there, I didn't wanna go up to my room, I wanted to stay with Nick. However, my dad didn't think the same way. We argued a lot and we got nowhere.
" Tell him I'll take care of you. We're just going for a walk." - Nick. I translated it for him, but...
" No, he said he didn't trust you with me."- Natty
" Ok, well, we can hang out here if he wants."- Nick
" Only if my brother is here with me, no way!!!" - Natty
While discussing with my dad, I had made a plan. Carol & I'd go to our room and Nick would pretend he was leaving. Then, a while later, Nick would sneak in the room, without being noticed. We simulated our good-byes, he kissed me again, this time on the lips!! Everyone was stunned except Chris of course. He "left".
I knew my dad was saying some stuff to me but I really wasn't paying attention. And my mom was with a smile on her face. This kiss had lifted my feet off the ground, I wasn't hearing anything around me. What I do know is that I had to go to my room. We went up and the plan continued as expected. Five minutes later, Nick was in my room.


~*~*~*Chapter 6~*~*~*
The three of us talked a bit.
" I think I can take a hint... I'll go take a walk."- Chris
" Thanks Chris." - Natty
Nick just smiled at her. He was being great with everyone, even my dad, who didn't like him.
" I know what he's doing. He's trying to protect you, that's normal." - Nick
" No, it's not normal, he's overreacting now." - I said
We kissed some more. Oh, he was an outstanding kisser!!! There was a problem though, I had to leave in a few days, and I was sure he had to also. What were we gonna do about it? He said he liked me and he proved that to me having dinner with my family, but... We weren't able to keep a long distance relationship. Mainly because it was too painful, not to see your boyfriend and all, furthermore, we were both young, it just wouldn't work out fine.
" You know, I've thought about this also. About what would we do when you leave..." - Nick
" Well, I don't know really, I just wish I didn't have to." - I said
" Let's just do this, let's enjoy one day after another, without thinking about the future. At least for now."
Chris came back, to find Nick and I gone. I left a note in her bed. I told her we had left so she could do whatever she wanted without we bothering her. I wrote I was going to Nick's hotel, therefore, she wouldn't be worried about me.
The hotel was beautiful and his room was even more impressive. I'd never been to such a beautiful hotel room in my entire (short) life. We sat, we made out and we talked some more. At that point, I felt I knew everything there's to know about him. On the other hand, he didn't feel the same way.
" Natty, open up to me. You already know everything there's to know about me and I know nothing about you at all." - Nick
" This is hard for me you know... open up. I like to keep things to myself. I don't like to talk about my emotions that much." - Natty
"  Yeah alright but I think there's things you have to say. How will I know if you care for me as much as I do for you if you don't tell me? I can't read minds you know."- Nick
For the first time, Nick didn't look in my eyes to say that. I could feel a lot of things coming from him. Maybe I was pulling myself away from fear, I didn't know at the time, but it was fear of being so close to someone that this person could know what I thought and what I felt. Even if I didn't say anything. I touched his face with my hand and tried to catch his look with my eyes.
"  This couple of days have been really awkward and great for me... at the same time. I guess I haven't told you anything is because: while growing up, at my house, I was never heard by my parents you know. They were always doing something or taking care of my other brothers and I was alone most of the time. So I faced a lot on my own, you know, I didn't have anyone to talk to; about what I felt or thought. Since no one would hear me, I tried hard to find someone who would. I talked to myself, I tried to figure out a way, alone, to fix my problems. And maybe
with that, I hum, forgot that people need to know stuff about me, stuff that matters."
" Well, I'm so sorry about that. You were lacking support when you needed most, and now..."
" I think I'm the only one who can and will support me."
" I am here for you, and Chris is too."
" Yeah but you'll soon be leaving and Chris, well, she's the only one you know. There are time that I can't open up, not even to her. But hey, it's alright, I got over that. I only have this side of me that haven't recovered yet."
" Maybe you have... you've just told me how you felt about all this things. I'll always be here for you Natty. Even if we are 10,000 miles away. I love you. I don't know how this is possible, since we only know each other for a few days but I do, really. I've never..."
" ...felt this way about anyone else."
" How did you know what I was gonna say?"
" Because I feel the same way."
He smiled at me and we kissed the most infatuated kiss ever. He lifted me up in the air and carried me to his bed.

Chapter 7 and epilogue
Back to index